Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Aug 8, 2012
This transfer I have really come to love my calling. I have loved Ohio and thought it was beautiful from the beginning, but lately I have felt like Heavenly Father really knew what he was doing when He thought to send me here. Kirtland and Hiram are so perfect for me!
We had a picnic with the Community of Christ on Monday night. They are such nice people! It is neat that we have a good relationship with them. They made hot dogs and we had a little cook-out. Then the next morning we had transfer breakfast (can you believe it is transfers again?!) and we had quiche, fruit and danishs. We had SO many left-overs that afternoon from dinner and breakfast. I sat there looking at it all, and I realized why I have gained so much weight. No wonder! It all came together.
I can't remember what I did this week... why can't I remember anything when I am on the computer?! The senior couples are so sweet- they have been loading us up with fresh produce they sell close by the Johnson Farm, and we even took a field trip to the Hiram cemetery to see Symonds Ryder's head stone. Symonds Ryder was only in the church for a few months, and left in a huff because Joseph Smith misspelled his name (not hard to believe- look at how weird his name is!) He became one of the ring leaders in opposition against Joseph and the church, and was one of the chief organizers of the tarring and feathering. Anyway, the best part of the story is that on his tombstone, it tells that he went on to become a member of the Disciples of Christ church. But on the tombstone, 'disciples' is spelled 'desciples.' Haha! Isn't that awesome?! The poor man is probably rolling in his grave!
We get to teach a 14 year old girl (Mackenzie) tonight outside of our area because she wants to meet with sisters, not elders. It is a member referral (which are the BEST!) and these members live in a home that has wild alligators, monkeys and lions in their basement! I am so excited to go over there! ...especially to teach the Restoration to Mackenzie, of course.
I've been working on completely forgetting what I want and simply doing His will. It is so neat! Really, it isn't that difficult. He really does qualify us to do whatever He asks. It is just our natural man that gets in the way. Going up to random people and generating a conversation about religion can be so awkward- but it doesn't have to be as awkward as we think it is. It is actually kind of neat how well you get to know the people just in a few minutes conversation. And you wouldn't imagine how many people have perfected the 'I am completely freaked out right now' expression. People are so funny! But the Lord really does help you do hard things. And those hard things become the most rewarding when you just rely on Him to help you through it.
Love you all! Next week my P-day will be on Tuesday because of transfers!
Sister Kimber Mahrt

No comments:

Post a Comment