Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Oct 29, 2012
Franken-st​orm
So, today we have to be inside our apartment by 1pm because of the hurricane. Have you heard of the Franken-storm? Well, I wouldn't have, except because of the hurricane we are getting some inclement weather (what does inclement mean? I can't use a dictionary, but it just feels like a good word to use here, so I am using it) and we are supposed to stay inside until Wednesday!!! What are missionaries supposed to do if they have to stay home?! I have no idea. We were going to go fishing today, so we are sad our p-day was compromised. The reason I am telling you all this is because I don't have a ton of time, so my email may be short.

This week has been filled with drama, because there is a family that wants to be taught by us rather than the east sisters, for basically no other reason than they know us better (there is a lot more justification surrounding that, but that is what it boils down to). Don't get me wrong- I am so thankful to have an opportunity to teach anyone who wants to hear more about Jesus Christ, but it hit me how much they are limiting their own progress by claiming to be an 'exception to the rule.' That is such a common idea these days. And so selfish! It has been a neat experience to be on a mission, where you have almost no control over your life. You give up where you live, what you will be doing, what you will be thinking about, what your purpose is, everything, and give it up to Heavenly Father. It is funny how many of us want control, but when we are actually able to let go, it is so refreshing! We are put in circumstances that help us to grow and progress in ways we never thought we could. If we try to control and maneuver things to what we want all the time, we are cheating ourselves of experiences or situations that would benefit us so much if we would just see them through. I especially love being with companions I didn't choose (and probably wouldn't have chosen), but that I have grown to love so much! I can't imagine what sort of experiences I would have missed out on if I would have been sucked into thinking I needed to control everything and make things the way I would have preferred. Life is so cool that way.

For one of our dinners this week, we went over to a family's home and the little 3 year old girl said the prayer. I felt the spirit so strong as she spoke- it was so cute! It is neat how simple the gospel is, that even a 3 year old can understand that she can talk to Heavenly Father and He will listen.

This week has been filled with cupcakes. We helped someone make 100 cupcakes for an activity they signed up for, there were cupcakes at the munch and mingle after singles ward, there were more cupcakes at the baptism we attended, we got some cupcakes door-bell ditched at our door, and we had a cupcake fight in our apartment (I won). I am now officially sick of cupcakes.

We were able to get a lot of members out with us to our lessons. It was a reaffirmation to me about how the members are doing the real missionary work. Every one of those lessons were so much more powerful and effective because they were there. It's amazing how far little actions and words of encouragement will go.

We were able to go to a Coptic Orthodox baptism with our Egyptian investigators. Everyone was so nice! We were in a super small room, and the family of the baby kept pushing us closer to the font to make sure we could see. Then after the baptism they wanted us in their pictures and they were so excited for us to be there. Their church was beautiful! Afterward, they made us our own individual loaf of holy bread. It was so neat! I love learning about other people.


Love you all!


Our holy bread.


Blowing out the smoke alarm since I burned my Macaroni & Cheese (hey, it happens to the best of us!) It looks like I am teaching it the doctrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment